This bundle contains Interactive Notebook lessons for older students and reinforces analytical skills through close reading, constructed response, and creative writing. You can use the short stories I use for each skill or choose your own. You also get handouts, projects, rubrics, presentations, samples, and three leveled tests to help teach and assess these important skills. You can use the unit as-is, or edit various components to meet your needs. (grades 7-10)
These lessons use the IN (Bellringer) – THROUGH (Teacher Input/Guided Classwork) – OUT (Exit/Independent Practice/Homework) method. This is a great way to ensure gradual release of responsibility.
1. Full lesson plans for every spread (Plot, Characterization, Mood, etc.)
2. Step-by-step slides for every page of the notebook
3. Handouts, foldables, notes, and homework
4. PowerPoints/Presentations to teach important skills:
–Literary Quote Analysis
–Symbolism & Allegory
5. Literary Devices Terms & Quiz
6. Symbolism Flipbook for “Masque of the Red Death”
7. Three leveled tests (Adapted, Standard, and Honors)
There are suggested short stories to use for each lesson, but you can switch these out for your favorites. 😉 You can also add more, if you like. The suggested short stories are:
“Lamb to the Slaughter” by Roald Dahl
“The Lottery” by Shirley Jackson
“Raymond’s Run” by Toni Cade Bambara
“Geraldo No Last Name” by Sandra Cisneros
“Masque of the Red Death” by Edgar Allan Poe
This item is now part of my Interactive Notebooks for Secondary ELA Bundle! This is all of the resources that I use in my 9th grade English classroom to bring short stories, novels, poetry, and plays to life using ISNs, and will grow as I add develop more units in the future.
If you have any questions, I’d love to hear from you!
-Danielle @ Nouvelle ELA